Do you want to work with animals?
Animal service is one of the most popular and sought after types of employment.
Give yourself an edge over the competition with our comprehensive animal health care course. This course has been designed to help you understand animal health care and basic veterinarian procedures, and bystudying with us you will gain invaluable knowledge and experience in understanding the many different aspects of Animal Health Care and their application.
Use this course to improve your employment prospects, form part of a career pathway towards becoming a qualified Veterinary Nurse or Animal Technician, or simply to provide better health care to your less human family or business enterprise members.
Learning CLoud Student comments :
"I cannot praise the animal health care course highly enough. I have learned a great deal, far beyond my expectations." G. Kite, Ireland - Animal Health Care course
"I have found the course to be a great deal of help with trying to get into the animal industry. I have also found my tutors comments of great help. I Would highly recommend this course for anyone wanting to get into the animal industry or for anyone wanting to learn more about our furry friends. Dyane Haubus, Ireland - Animal Health Care course.
There are 12 lessons in this course:
- Introduction to Animal Health Care
- nature and scope of veterinary services
- private veterinary practices
- other veterinary services; laboratories, quarantine, agriculture departments, pharmaceutical companies, educational, etc
- other animal services; breeders, holiday care, etc.
- animal welfare and control
- veterinary services
- code of practice
- transporting animals
- Common Health Problems in farm animals and pets
- causes of ill health
- nutritional problems
- living organisms
- family pets common conditions
- caged birds
- aquarium fish
- wild animals common conditions
- Animal Behaviour
- communication in dogs
- body language
- handling cats
- bird language
- types of behavior
- time orientation
- space orientation
- territorial behavior
- horse psychology
- Signs of Ill Health
- vital signs
- the healthy animal
- signs & symptoms of diseases
- recognising ill health
- diagnosis of diseases
- taking smears
- taking tissue samples
- diagnosis and control of different types of diseases including
- Veterinary Facilities
- types of facilities; clinic, hospital, mobile facility, emergency facility,etc
- first aid kit; aids for diagnosis, instruments, medicines, preparations, etc
- record management
- enclosure for animals
- environmental requirements
- Safety Procedures
- duty of care
- lifting heavy weights
- reducing back injury
- protective equipment
- dealing with chemicals
- skin penetrating injuries
- risk categories
- separating animals
- disposal of dead/infected tissues
- dangerous non-animal wastes
- storage and handling of medicines
- handling larger animals
- Administration of Animal Health
- animal insurance
- importing animals
- managing a veterinary office
- telephone usage
- record keeping
- filing information
- Animal First Aid
- types of wounds
- treating and cleaning wounds
- granulating wounds
- stitching a wound
- bone and joint problems
- broken bones
- tendon injury
- restraining animals during first aid
- restraining cats
- restraining dogs
- restraining horses
- restraining cattle
- restraining sheep
- Preventative Health Care
- preventing ill health
- balanced diet
- insect control
- Comparing natural active immunity, artificial active immunity, natural passive immunity, and artificial active immunity
- tetnus antiserum
- types of vaccines
- alternatives to vaccination
- avoid stressing livestock
- Routine Health Treatments
- tubal ligation
- castration of cats
- gestation periods
- anaesthesia and analgesia
- preparing an animal for surgery
- sterilising equipment
- castrating a colt
- Health Problems in Domestic Pets
- urinary tract infections;
- fish problems
- Rehabilitation Care
- scope of rehabilitation
- planning a recovery
- animal nursing
- the hospital pen
- monitoring temperature, pulse, respiration
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Describe the scope of services offered by animal care services.
- Describe common health problems in various animals.
- Explain the natural behaviour of different types of domestic animals in different situations.
- Identify common signs of ill health in a variety of animals.
- Describe purposes of a range of facilities in a veterinary practice.
- Determine safety procedures for a veterinary practice.
- Describe a range of administrative taskes carried out in a veterinary practices.
- Describe first aid procedures and treatments for different animals.
- Describe requirements for maintaining good health in domestic animals.
- Develop an understanding of routine treatments for healthy animals.
- Develop broader awareness of health issues and treatments in domestic pets.
- Develop skills in caring for animals prior to, during or after treatment
If you are an Irish citizen you may be eligible to receive financial support, meaning you
can defer payment of your course fees. Additionally, if you are a resident of Ireland,
you may also be eligible to receive a student grant under the Student Grant Scheme
We live in a society where the pressures of daily living are high with financial
expenses, personal and work commitments, and mortgage and rental obligations.
Then there are the unexpected life challenges that also get thrown our way.
With this in mind the thought of taking on study can be daunting for most people.
Here at Learning Cloud we understand that life doesn’t run in a straight line it
has many ups and downs.
As an enrolled student at Learning Cloud, you are entitled to access a variety of
non-academic support services from the Student Services Unit. These supports are
designed to walk beside you throughout your studies they will assist you in life’s
ups and downs to provide you the best opportunity to successfully complete your
STUDENT SERVICES PROGRAMS INCLUDE:
- Careers Counselling Service
- General Counselling Service
- Disability Liaison Service
- Retention & Engagement Service
- Student Activities
- E Counselling
- Parent support
- Reasonable Adjustment Plan (RAP)
Call our student support today on 0419803370 or Email Faculty
Get more information
Want more information about financial and student support? Fill out the enquiry
form to the right and a study consultant will contact you with the details
How will this course advance my career?
Learning Cloud programs have been developed in response to industry demand
and are specifically designed to equip graduates with work-ready skills.
Each participant will be trained and assessed in theory and in practical tasks
and Real-world exercises are used throughout the program.
Studies prove, time and again, that college-educated workers earn more than those
with only a high school qualification. College graduates often enjoy additional
benefits, including greater job opportunities and promotions. Though the proof for
greater earning potential exists, some might wonder whether the cost of the
education warrants the overall expense in the long run.
College Graduate vs. Non-Graduate Earnings
The National Centre for Education Statistics (NCES) analyses employee earnings data
biennially, according to education level. Findings indicate that workers with a
qualification earn significantly more than those without. Since the mid-1980s,
education has played a large part in potential wages, with bachelor's degree holders
taking home an average of 66% more than those with only a high school diploma do.
While college-educated workers' wages have increased over the past two decades,
those with only a high school education have seen decreases in annual salaries in
the same time period (nces.ed.gov).
How else will I benefit from studying with Learning Cloud?
- Studying online or distance means you can study where you want
and at your own pace.
- Receive career-focused training with practical, hands-on learning.
- All course materials are provided and all digital platforms are
interactive, work on any device and designed to be fun.
- Recognition of Prior Learning or Skills Recognition may be available
for previous work experience, formal training or qualifications in this field.